As of 1 December 2017, self-employed people are entitled to long-term sick pay (Invalidity Pension). This is the first time a State income support has been afforded to the self-employed in Ireland.

What are the benefits for Self-Employed People?

Self-employed people who are unable to work due to either long-term illness or disability, and who have paid sufficient social insurance contributions, will be entitled to weekly Invalidity Pension payments of €198.50 per week for themselves. they will also be entitled to additional payments for qualified adults and qualified children. Free travel passes are also available to successful applicants.

Invalidity Pension payments and travel passes will not be subject to a means test. Like most other social welfare supports, Invalidity Pension payments will be taxable.

Additional benefits may also be available to applicants, including;

  • household benefits package;
  • living alone increase;
  • smokeless fuel allowance;
  • fuel allowance;
  • water conservation grant; and
  • specified island allowance.

Additional benefits are available to qualifying applicants on a means-tested basis.

Payments are available to the applicant while the qualifying conditions are satisfied until their 66th birthday when payments will automatically transfer to contributory state pension payments.

Who will benefit? 

The announcement is set to benefit;

  • small business owners;
  • farmers;
  • trades-people;
  • freelance contractors; and
  • professionals.

How to qualify for the payment?

In order to qualify for the Invalidity Pension, self-employed people must have a minimum of:

  • 260 paid PRSI contributions since entering social insurance; and
  • 48 contributions paid or credited in the last, or second last, complete contribution year before the date of your claim.

Applicants must:

  • have been incapable to work for at least 12 months and likely to be incapable to work for at least the next 12 months, or
  • be permanently incapable of work for life.

Applying for the Invalidity Pension

Applications for the Invalidity Pension for self-employed people are valid from 1 December 2017 and should be submitted to the Invalidity Pension Claims Section (details below) with the following documents:

  • Birth certificate and PPS number;
  • Spouse, civil partner or cohabitants birth certificate and PPS number;
  • Marriage certificate, civil partnership or civil union registration certificate;
  • Qualified children’s birth certificates and PPS number;
  • Copy of P60;
  • Letter from Revenue or your accountant confirming cessation of self-employment;
  • Bank statements showing the last 6 months transactions and the name and address of the account holder(s);
  • Advice notes from any pensions you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant are receiving;
  • Letter from school or college (if you are claiming for a child/children aged between 18 and 22 who are in full-time education).

Once your application has been submitted, medical evidence may be requested to support your claim.

Contact information can be found below for further information or submitting your claim;

Invalidity Pension Claims Section
Social Welfare Services
Government Buildings
Ballinalee Road
Telephone: (043) 334 0000
LoCall: 1890 92 77 70